Thursday, February 24, 2005

surviving after lindy hop..

I have survived. Survived the first session of Lindy Hop.

In case you dun know, today is the first session of the long awaited Lindy Hop. I dun dare to look forward to it, since it was postponed once. I waited inside MAc's for a while to fill my stomach, and waited for the last minutes. I went in with a glowing heart, but ended up feeling my heart had gotten trampled. (I got humiliated by a guy, and he's not even an instructor.)

I know myself. I know that I am a slow learner, and I learn things slower than others. So I am not surprised to see others getting it right the first time. But I'm willing to learn. So i hope that there is a friendly instructor who wants me to progress. Even if I had to spend hours dancing alone (it feels awkward btw.) just to practise the dance moves, every day, every night, I would willingly sacrifice the hours. Why? For my passion in dancing.

Besides being a slow learner, Lindy Hop requires you to have a partner when you dance. I tell you, it is totally different from what I have learnt in my past experiences. The mentality and the coordination that you have to get with your partner are the difficult things you have to overcome.

Learning how to do Lindy Hop is like a baby trying to learn how to walk. I had to change my mindset and my moves to suit my partner. I'm no longer free, dancing to suit my own pace. It is a total learning experience. Never had I need to change due to difficult situation or environment.
I still remember my friend saying this, never mind how insecure you feel when you do something new, it's your passion that makes the difference.

Now I'm feeling whether I have signed up for the wrong course or not.

No comments: